Saturday, March 22, 2008

Into The Wild- Review

Ever since i first heard about this movie on Oprah last fall, i've been intrigued by the story line and have wanted to watch it. Sean Penn is the director behind this movie that tells the story about a young man named Christopher McCandless, whom after graduating college decides that a society focused on materialism, isn't how life was meant to be lived. To make a long story short, he decides to give away his savings ($24000) to charity, Rip up all his credit cards, ID, and basically get rid of 90% of his possessions and go on a hike through America and up to Alaska. His desire was to live in the wild and discover a life different than the typical "American dream."
I tried watching this movie back in January in Edmonton with my bud Joe, But we started it very late at night and with a length of 2.5 hours, let's just say after the first 45 minutes we were both sleeping. This left me a little skeptical, to try watching it again, but i am sure glad that i did! This movie caused me to think. Some things that raced through my mind were thoughts such as : How much security do i get from my possessions? Could i actually survive a day in silence and being alone for a full 24 hours, never-mind months or years? How much do i depend on 'noise' to keep me from truth? The things that i value in this world, are they worthwhile and lasting pursuits?
You cannot watch a movie like this without pondering a lot about life. And in the end, though i am not going to spoil it for you, the one thing that was re-affirmed, is that i really value community and relationships! Most of life doesn't make sense without them! The filming of this movie is absolutely beautiful and helps you to enjoy the planet even more! It is a movie about survival, dealing with your frustrations, finding out what is really meaningful, and remembering the power of love! I highly recommend that you rent this movie! I must warn that there is a sketchy scene when he encounters a couple nude Europeans and this lasts about 2-3 minutes. So use your own discretion. But this movie will cause you to be frustrated with McCandless at times and at other times admire his courage and focus. It'll cause you to see the great divide between rich and poor in our society and just may move people to some form of action! I must also mention that the soundtrack is absolutely brilliant! I've owned it since it's release in September and it is all done by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder! Many have been waiting for some solo work from Vedder and look no further than my friend Evan (biggest Pearl Jam fan that i know of and possibly living) to tell you how great of a songwriter this man is!
I'm glad that i took a second chance on this flick and it definately goes down in my top 5 movies of 2007. My Rating: 4.5/5! 

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]