Thursday, March 13, 2008

The difficulty of conversation.





This is my first blog in over 6 months, things have been interesting since then. I have now been the Assistant Pastor in our church in Thompson for about 10 months now. I emphasize assistant, because I have finally accepted that it involves far more than youth ministry. Which has it's up's and down sides! It's hard to believe how quickly time flies. During this period we've been able to launch the youth ministry that has been going good and preach A Lot, among other things!


I guess that's what has been on my mind in the last couple of months or so. I have developed a great appreciation for pastor's who bring forth a word of hope and truth to their communities week after week. Up until Thompson i was more of a guest speaker whenever i got the chance to speak in Church. In Saskatoon my job was to lead a discipleship group with the youth and i did this weekly, but i approached it as more of time a of teaching and discussion. I miss being called upon to preach once every 3 months, because I found that it was so easy to stay focused and just give ALL that you have into that talk. I now actually preach about 6 times a month, and have been finding that you have to really be connected to God and His word in order to consistently do this. I have taken a more teaching/questioning/sharing, approach in my speaking and realize that all sermons can't be based around fun one-liners and dropping all your good sayings weekly... Shucks eh... I have always loved the preaching of evangelists and always will, but have recognized that it takes true commitment to be in the word week after week, year after year! Perhaps, this is why Paul was so convinced that a leaders' main priority is to be devoted to prayer and the teaching of the scriptures (Acts 6:4)...


There's a new book out by authors Frank Viola and George Barna called "Pagan Christianity." It is causing a lot of controversy for Church leaders and is attempting to re-define the role of how we do church and pastor them. From reviews I have read, many find the book to be dangerous and full of error. However, I have also read that it may win an award for the book that got many reviews last year, without anyone actually reading it first. I found that funny. It's funny how people rally against certain books, movies and ideas etc... without actually taking time to learn and look into what it is that they oppose. I took a class with Chris Seay in Edmonton this past January and he talked about how "Christians Boycotting" certain books, movies, etc... only hurts the situation more. Why not rather look into it and use these contorversial things as a way of entering into a conversation and being able to discuss and support your views rather than just ASSuming that you are right! You just may begin to see them as a help because they start a conversation for you, in which you can Passionately defend your take! Starting conversations is diffcult, so maybe sometimes we just need to tune into the discssuion that is already happening... Thanks to these folks that annoy, offend and distract us... They may be exactly what we need to have a voice... who knows... I for one will check it out because of the buzz alone. Apparently, it has good material about taking the role of a pastor biblically and really grasping what is at stake... Perhaps, past the disagreements it can still teach, challenge and cause me to Meditate more upon the scriptures and become more of who I am to be.


Anyways, life has been great and it appears that the weather may brighten up in this Northern City sooner or later. For the first time in 6 years i changed my clock back the other day (In Saskatchewan we never did this) and I realized how much i appreciate daylight savings time. It kinda changed my outlook on the day, now that we don't get dark until 8:15 or so. I feel more motivated! Things are only going to get more busy and so i patiently await summer. I love the change of season, especially spring (My Fave, particularly in 'Toon). Something about change is good and yet difficult. Before i stop typing... One quick weird addition to my life this year is... I actually watch American idol and kind of like it... Scary Stuff.... Anyhow, if you read let me know how you are doing and what's new in your life...



Comments:
arggh.....I left the longest comment and something happened when I tried to publish it. Oh well......I will talk to you later about thoughts and such!
 
Sounds good Leah... Wish i could've read your thtoughts!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]