Tuesday, September 26, 2006

CD Review- John Mayer "Continuum"


One of my most anticipated new releases of the year finally hit shelves on September 12, 2006 and to my surprise i was left with mixed thoughts... I knew everyone would be quick to call this an awesome album from the get-go, but i for one have done that too many times, only too regret those statements months later lol...

The first song and single "waiting on the world to change"is absolute brilliance and genius... I didn't like this song the first time that i'd heard it but it grew on me and is constantly in my head... Thanks go to starbucks for faithfully playing it... The lyrics in the song are brilliant... Song 2 (I don't trust myself) is probably the weirdest song on the album... It's very Eric Clapton-ish... Probably my least favorite on the disc so far but heck he took a risk... other standouts are "belief", "gravity", and "dreaming with a broken heart"...

This album is very mellow and though i'll always miss the "Room for squares" days, i'll gladly welcome this new Mayer music...My two favorite tracks on the album are "Vultures" and "In Repair"... "Vultures" was featured on his last album with his band "The John Mayer Trio" and though i liked it on that album it's even better sounding under the studio with crisp production... The lyrics talk about facing trials, adversity and pressure from the world and i can easily relate with them as can most people... My other favorite track is song 11, "In repair"... it's got a sweet melody and the lyrics are phenomenal... John Mayer always gets me thinking in his songs and not many artists period can do that... The lyrics really describe life, about how we aren't perfect and never will be but that we're always making improvments and adjustments as we move along life...Other standout tracks include his cover of Jimi hendrix "Bold as love" and "The Heart of Life" shows a nice side to this disc... All in all this is a great album... very mellow but relaxing... Expect awesome guitar playing and amazing vocals... this album will remain in the cd player for a long time... I recommend you check it out, but be prepared to expect the unexpected because this one's a little different from his previous studio efforts... John Mayer saves fall music releases once again and i for one am thankful...

FINAL RATING: 4/5!


Comments:
For sure, you're staying at my place! Looking forward to seeing you...And yeah that new Mayer is new music, new attitude eh?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]