Monday, August 21, 2006

The People Wear Prada???

Well, i've had the privilege of seeing this movie this evening and must say that it has caused me to think alot... some interesting thoughts, some silly thoughts and some straight out convicting lol... Let's start with the silly...
In this movie the main character (Anne Hathaway), For anyone who's seen the previews, she starts off as an ordinary girl and very not "in" fashion so to say. She goes to apply for a HUGE fashion magazine company and is laughed at, mocked, repulsed by, and ignored. I liked her character at the beginning of the movie... she was herself.. But then she gets hired and it's all downhill after that... she gets so insecure in herself and wants to IMPRESS that she asks a fellow worker for a make over and boy does she ever get one... he turns her into a "Beautiful" fashionable women... It even changes her attitude, mannerisms, and outlook on life... I wonder how often we are like this??? Does the way we dress and present ourselves influence how we will act and behave... Think about it? When i'm in a t-shirt and pants (jeans) casually, i feel more laid back and relaxed...casual we could say... but keep those clothes on and add a sportscoat and ipod to my look... and all of a sudden i got a new look and new ATTITUDE... c'mon has anyone ever felt like this from just changing your appearance a little??? When you wear a suit, or a nice dress for the girls, don't you feel a little different? Doesn't your attitude change?? Maybe even your mannerisms?? Be honest here lol...
Anyways that was one thought that struck me as truthful... how much of what we do and allow ourselves to be is influenced by how we present ourselves outwardly... In the Garden man and woman didn't originally wear clothes until they sinned and felt ashamed...along with this came covering up and appearances??? who knows...
Another thing that hit me during this movie is that lust for power, appreciation, praise from others and being noticed in general... Sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that we all sometimes want it... Even if we say we don't... there's that part of me that likes to be noticed and appreciated... For example: American idol... isn't that the reason that the show is so popular..it's what everyone loves to see,,, a nobody becoming a somebody (almost overnight)... In the movie this girl begins out innocent and just wants to be a good journalist but that lust for the power and to be seen overcomes her will and it leads her down the path to being fake, being what others have made her and not true to herself... How many times have we ever been guilty of this... maybe even in Church work (if i can just say that??)... You do something good maybe playing an instrument, singing, preaching, serving, etc... and you get the pat on the back and verbal praise from others and you so desperately want to keep it pure and God focused, but part of you likes it and likes to relish in it a little..??.. There is a way to accept compliments and encouragment in a godly way... and that's by being honest i've been finding out.. false humilty is just as prideful as arrogance. I guess it's all about going to God and thanking Him and always remembering it is Him who sustains you, who gives you breath, and works thru you... knowing that can be pretty humbling... Check out Numbers 12:3... I have one question for you after you've done that...who wrote the book of Numbers??? The scripture never lies and so this is a true statement, but how can a humble man say this about himself...i guess he's just being honest before God and others...and that makes his humility truthful...
Anyways this movie made me think, i appreciated watching it, had a good date with my girl Nicole... and we ended up meeting up with my buddy Mark and Lavonne... so the movie and Moxie's with them was great times... i'm off to bed now.. better put on my trendy sleep pants and lay out my "cool" pants and shirt for tomorrow....

"(Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth)"
--- Numbers 12:3---

PS: Moses was the author of the Book of Numbers....

Comments:
Dude, I've definetly got to check out this movie now. I like the way you think. Just a side note, could you imagine the level of intelect in the world if we veiwed everything we see through the eyes of God? I think this rock might kust be a better place. Back on topic....good on ya man, I loved this blog, and definetly got something out of reading it. Good show my friend. I like it.

Well, to think about it, when people compliment me, I usualy get very uncomfortable, almost wish they dont, aspecially when its a coment about something I do in church. How am I supposed to handle those I wonder? I always feel so cheesy saying, "well I do it for God," it's the truth, it seems out of place in the convo...I dont know...?
 
awesome blog jordo! I've been wanting to see this movie now it is a must.. lets see if i see what you are talking about! All the things you said are so true. It is so easy to just put on an apperience sometimes, too easy. It does feel nice to just dress up sometimes and actually feel good about yourself other than in just jeans and a t-shirt... hmm.. made me think your blog it did! its a gooder! :) keep em' comming :)
 
Oh Jordan... such a good movie!!

I feel like we've traded roles and now I'm the lazy blogger while your blog is flourishing. Once I get my own computer back I think I'm going to redo my blog for inspiration.. make it more.. "me".. anywho... I'll have a post up today...

Your Nic
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]