Thursday, August 17, 2006

Off the juice...Can't shake the Habit?


So as you all know I have had a very passionate relationship so to say recently with Starbucks. I always wondered why Starbucks was such a hit and when i was busy drinking Tim Hurton's or something like Second Best..oops i mean Second Cup... I always thought starbucks was the enemy and was all HYPE! But is it?...
... Recently i have quit drinking caffeinated coffee. Yes, alas, i have been off the juice for about 3-4 months now and i must admit i have never felt more full of energy, motivation and alive in a long while. Caffeine always used to build me up and then let me down... ( i think there's a song along that lines)...anyways...
... I still drink an average of 1-2 cups of starbucks Decaff Coffee per day. I still love going to Starbucks, even though asking for decaff coffee felt sick, wrong and humiliating for the first few weeks, there's something liberating about drinking a nice warm cup of java at a Starbucks location and engaging in good conversation or reading a good book! I no longer technically NEED to frequent Starbucks anymore because i'm technically off of REAL coffee, but i still feel the need to do so. Why is that? It's either one of two things... I'm either addicted to the establishment and habit, or that the place offers something that most places don't? I'm going to say that i still go there because it's casual, fun, warming, relaxing, therapeutic, spiritually beneficial, and educational! I find all these things at a local Starbucks and i only pay $1.96 for it. I'd say that's a good deal! You're probably wondering how i came to these conclusions, but i won't explain myself rather i challenge you to grab either your bible, a good book, a good friend, a casual friend, your ipod (which for me these days has become a must, man am i ever eating my past word's about ipod's lol) and go grab a nice warm beverage and hopefully find a sofa at your nearest starbucks and let me know about your experience! I tell ya sometimes it feels routine and casual but other times it feels helpful and much needed. Starbucks offers the customer an experience of a good overly priced beverage, a warm atmosphere and whatever you shall make of it...but it's not just the coffee that brings people in, or the caffeine...there's something more and i guess you'll have to find that for yourself...have fun!... comments????

Comments:
oh jordan,

i must confess, i'm a sinner!

horton's is so much closer than a stars right now, but i promise, i have seen the error of my ways, and i'll head to a stars tomorrow with a good book!

oh, nasser is doing a cross canada tour in september with starfield... did you know that???? i believe they're hitting saskatoon a day or two before winnipeg (which i believe is on the 16th or something here...) anyway... you should check it out!

-peace out!

Terrin
 
lol... nice blog jordan, kind of makes me want a Strawberry n' creme thinger from there.... I forget what it's called but honestly it's the only thing I ever get from starbucks... it's addicting though... the strawberry n' creme thing.
I might try the book and starbucks one day though, but I find the music just takes a hold of me in that place and I can barely keep a conversation because of the music, I wonder how a book would do?
 
I cant imagine ever being addicted to going to Stars, as some have called it. But good on ya with your passionate relationship my friend. Your a strange guy, why did I expect to find anythig else. Maby its just the heart that keeps me away from Coffee houses, but now that I am in a city, maby I'll grab a book and head out for a Starbucks adventure. Tootlers.
TraV
 
Hey Jordan,
I still want to tell you my story about that book Drawing Near by John Bever. Grabbing my bible or a book and going to Starbucks sounds very inviting. I was actually going to one day but I ended up falling asleep. But I am definetly going to now that I have a car. I like my alone time. I like the pic...:)
 
Oh how stars does do the trick.
alas i tend to goto tims over it still.. i don't know why.. well only when i'm in a car.. i like the drive through thing every now and then but stars coffee is just SO much better.
stars vs tims.. oh i love them both.
i do enjoy my coffee!
take care, and i'll enjoy a good book there eventually!
ash
 
You know Jordan, in College I was a hard core Tim's fan but I went with Nic and Terrin a couple times to Starbucks (sorry I can't bring myself to call it Stars) and I did enjoy it. Unfortunately I don't really like going there to hang out and relax cause it's work and who wants to hang out at work? I do however get free drinks while I'm working! I would like to say though that I have not become a coffee snob and will still go to Tim's but I will admit that it's mostly for an everything bagel toasted with butter!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]