Thursday, March 02, 2006

Communion!

Communion in church was always something that i knew was important but failed to recognize the importance of it as a youth. For those who are wondering what i mean by this i am speaking specifically of the partaking of communion that we do together in church and that we did this morning in chapel. What a powerful time it was. Joe chose some great songs and I am so grateful for what God has done for me and all who call on His name. Ephesians 2:1-3 talks about our terrible position that we once all had and some have before meeting Christ. It talks about the wrath of God and when we recognize that the cross doesn't just give us a get to go to heaven card, but that it saves us from Wrath... we will never sing about the wonderful cross in the same way ever again. This has been hitting me big time lately!

I was invited this past summer to do a weekend study with Mr.Puls and 12 others about communion (Vicki and lutz were there, lucky peeps lol), as Mr.Puls was reaserching and i believe was writing his thesis on it for his doctorate. Because of sudden circumstances i was unable to attend but Mr.Puls this morning brought up some life changing principles. While communion is a time of self-contemplation to see how we are doing in our walks to kill sin and follow Christ, another key issue hit me, that hit me last year. And that is that communion is also the fellowship of the saints. The church in Corinth had it all wrong and Paul told them that their meetings were doing more harm than good and that is because they were mistreating one another and even disrespecting the weaker ones. Communion is about self-contemplation, it is totally about remembering and proclaiming what Christ did for us (and is still doing), i don't have it all down in my theology, but it is also about contemplating and reflecting on how each of us is loving one another in the body. Jesus loves us loving each other lol, sounds funny but true. Paul urges us not to take communion in vain. Communion is something we do together and not apart, for Christ declared that we are ONE as His body and this is life changing and really urges me to live at peace with everyone. (The whole context of 1 Corinthiams 11:17-34 is community).The bible emphasizes community so much but in our fast changing and moving world we have so little time to devote. Here's to growing in devoting more time to community! *cheers* Just a few thoughts i'm having today!

This past week has been busy. I've had three assignments in the last week, that somehow or other i have succesfully completed and times are interesting, especially with regards to announcements made at school this past week. I know i'll be keeping everything in prayer as our school is in a changing mode and in all of this i trust God is in control of it all. Life besides being busy has also been good. I'm on day 16 of my "A Call to die" devotional and lately i've been contemplating how being a Christian isn't a promise to have everything you want with no cost or sacrifice. There is a cost and there is a risk in grace. That risk is that we will face tough times, good times and in betwen times. Following a radical like Jesus won't be put into a neat formula, but after all is said and done, missing it would be like missing an adventure of a lifetime. Joyce Meyer once said something that i have always remembered, "There are no padded crosses."

I hope everything is going well in your lives and that it continues to go well. The whole snow dumping dampered the week a bit, but snow will go away (speaking it!) lol. I can't believe there are only 7 weeks of school left to grad. Is anyone else blown away by that fact?? Anyhow thanks to all who read and comment. The preacher in me definately shines through in my blog lol. A well blogging is all about deep thought, though it's awesome to just write out the good times and the occassionally riduclous post lol, i like those one's. Had an awesome time at Mr.Glubish's the other night too. Sheldo, you get all the good cards bro, 3 wizards lol. Kendra if you read this, i have one word to say= "WOW!, Anyhow i'm out, hope all is going awesome, Special Ensemble have a rocking time in Winnipeg this weekend, really regret not being able to come n hang with y'all but stuff came up.. later!

Comments:
Wow! That post beats any I've ever done.. you just jam packed your whole weeks thoughts into a post.. my last two were less than what I've written so far for a comment!

Anyways, as for communion. At the beginning of this semester in Sys. Theo 1 (the first class you missedD), we did communion.. it was fantastic.. same feel as today's.. but still different. I'm realizing more and more what communion is.. and some times I dare say... the sinful part of me dreads it because I know how life changing it is to just experience Christ so intimately!

And yeah, Preacher boy.. your love and call for preaching really do shine in these blog.

Hope you have a good day Mr.!
 
Jordan...

As I was reading your post I was like, "Yes, this is the student council president". Keep raising the bard. Oops, I mean the bar. *snicker* And persevere to the bitter end of the school year!

Courtney
 
hey jord. thanks for letting me hoard my cool mints ;). communion is so cool, isn't it? i've had the pleasure and pain of sitting through several classes, especially the one last semester with mr puls about communion. it just blows you out of the water, eh?
 
Well friend, Wow. I'm glad that communion was good for you. I think that communion is one of my favorite ways to worship God. The thing that I took away from chapel was the fact that what we are to remember is not just the price that Jesus paid for his sacrifice but also what it means to us in the future. The glorious day to come when we will see Him in all His glory. Wow, for real man, Wow.
 
Good post man... That communion chapel was powerful man! I'm still being rocked by that "In Christ Alone" song.
You truly are the student council pres.
 
Good post.
So much for being a regular blogger! :)
take care :) you rock!
ashley
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]